Links & Resources
ISSA Workshop Videos – order here
Scratchboard Forum on WetCanvas – Ann’s user name is PaintDog
Ampersand Products – makers of Scratchbord™, Claybord™, other artists’ panels, floater frames & more
Ann’s Instagram – works in progress and short videos
Ann’s blog post: Thoughts on Learning Scratchboard
Ann’s Art Videos on Rumble in scratchboard and other media
Scratchboard videos on YouTube – search for “scratchboard demo”
Scratchboard videos from gatherings in Indianapolis (pre ISSA)
Scratchboard Books – instructional or just fun
- Starting from Scratch, by Diana Lee, MSA
- Scratchboard for Illustration, edited by Ruth Lozner
- The New Scratchboard, by Charles Ewing
- Discovering Sierra Trees, with scratchboard illustrations by Jane Gyer
Ann’s Scratchboard Supplies/Tools
Note that many links below are affiliate links, intended as a guide . . . feel free to shop around.
- Knife blades: #16 X-Acto or #16 Excel
- X-Acto Retractable Knife
- X-Acto X2000 Knife
- Ampersand Claybord™ – white surface
- Ampersand Scratchbord™ – black surface
- Transfer Paper – white for Scratchbord, graphite for Claybord
- Lascaux UV-Protect 3 sealer – semi matte – Ann’s favorite
- Krylon UV Archival sealer – satin – other artists report good results
- Golden Archival sealer – satin or semi-gloss – another one that other artists recommend
- Derwent Inktense pencils – available in sets or individually
- Ampersand inks & other tools
- Micron pens (black) – available in sets or individually
- Koh-i-noor technical pens – great “old school” pens, but they’re expensive and finicky if you don’t keep them clean. They last a long time, and replacement nibs are available. Ann uses the 3×0, 2×0, 0 and 1 sizes.
- Koh-i-noor UltraDraw or Universal Ink
- Slice Precision Cutter (ceramic blade) – great for whiskers
- Slice Craft Knife with Corner-Stripping Blade
- #11 X-Acto blades
- #11 Scalpel blades – these fit in the standard silver X-Acto handle
- standard tattoo needles – assortment of sizes; here’s a helpful primer about the types of tattoo needles
- cosmetic (microblading) tattoo needles – 14 pin, angled
- clutch pencil/lead holder – holds both types of tattoo needles (cut the shaft off of the standard needles)
- extra thin fiberglass brush – be careful with the shards of fiberglass; use a hand-held vacuum to dispose of them, or brush them off of your board over a garbage can or outside
Please respect Ann’s copyrights.
Feel free to share the links to these materials, but do not copy, print, post or reproduce the content in any manner without Ann’s consent.
Materials from Ann’s Demos at ISSA Workshops
Videos from the 2012 – 2019 ISSA Workshops are available here and include Ann’s videos from years in which she was a presenter.
Discussion of cropping and composition, PDF document. Password required to open: arppt
Click on either image to download a PDF file.